Strawberry lovers will rejoice with these one bowl low carb strawberry muffins with strawberry glaze! Less than 200 calories per muffin and only 2.8 net carbs!
Strawberry season is upon us! Of course, it’s 2020 and grocers import fruit all year long so really, it’s always strawberry season. Unless you shop at your local farmer’s market then, yay, it’s strawberry season!
What is one to do with all of their strawberries? I have a whole bunch of keto strawberry recipes because we devour the little red berries (which aren’t actually berries- I know, Google it) all year long.
But today, we’re using strawberries to make some low carb strawberry shortcake muffins. This keto strawberry muffin recipe is simply divine and appropriate for all skill level bakers!
If you crave all things strawberry, you’re going tastebuds are going to burst over these low carb strawberry muffins!
You’re Sure To Love These Low Carb Strawberry Muffins
And this is why:
- Can be made in one bowl which means less clean up
- Basically cake for breakfast
- Bursting with fresh strawberry flavor
- Gluten free, sugar free, and keto friendly
- Zero artificial flavoring
- Meal prep and freezer friendly
- Kid approved
Make These Low Carb Strawberry Shortcake Muffins At Home
My kids love muffins and they really love making muffins. Since I don’t often buy baking mixes anymore, having low carb recipes that are simple to toss into one bowl and mix up are essential if I want to keep my sanity. These low carb strawberry muffins are just that- equally delicious and sanity saving!
Here’s what you need:
- Large mixing bowl
- Whisk or hand mixer
- Cutting board
- Rubber spatula. or spoon
- Cupcake/muffin pan
- Cupcake liners (optional)
- Small bowl
You’ll start this recipe by dicing up some fresh strawberries. If you have a kitchen scale, now would be a good time to pull it out and weigh your diced berries. If not, you can measure out and guesstimate- it’s okay to not be precise.
Using a hand mixer, you’ll mix all of your ingredients except the strawberries until it’s well combined. Fold in your diced strawberries, fill your muffin pan, and bake.
Once the muffins are done baking, let them cool completely before adding the glaze- otherwise it’ll just roll off and we want it to sink into the muffins.
The glaze is simply powdered sweetener and half and half. However, if you want to take them to the next level, put some ChocZero syrupstrawberry syrup in the glaze mixture. It takes these muffins from wow to whoah!
The ChocZero syrup is sugar free and naturally flavored. I also like to use it on pancakes, cheesecake, and ice cream!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Flaxseed: if you’re new to low carb baking, flaxseed may seem like a weird ingredient. In actuality, flax is very common especially in baked goods. Flaxseed adds moisture and texture to low carb and gluten free baked goods, it can even be used to replace eggs in some recipes (not this one though). I highly encourage you to grab a bag of (ground) flaxseed on your next grocery run, you can find it just about everywhere these days. However, if you just can’t wait to make these muffins and don’t have the flaxseed on hand, you can omit it.
- Sweeteners: you can use whichever brand of zero carb sweetener you prefer. Personally, I use this in all of my recipes and prefer it because there isn’t a cooling effect with every bite. I’ve also had a lot of success with allulose which is a plant based sweetener similar to stevia.
- Strawberries– you must use fresh berries in this recipe. If you try to use frozen, they will release too much water and make yucky muffins. If you don’t have fresh berries, you can use strawberry extract. Try using 1/2 teaspoon and add more to taste.
Here Are Some More Low Carb Muffin Recipes You Will Enjoy
Keto Cinnamon Sugar Muffins
Keto Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
Keto Blueberry Muffins: easy & kid friendly
For the Muffins
- 1.5 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sweetener
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 100g diced strawberries (about 3/4 cup)
For the Glaze
- 3 tablespoons powdered sweetener
- 1 tablespoon half n half
- 1 to 2 tablespoons ChocZero strawberry syrup (more to taste, optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan or insert liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to cream the butter and powdered sweetener together.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add the almond flour, baking powder, and flaxseed and mix until well combined.
- Fold in the diced strawberries.
- Divide the batter equally between the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and let cool completely on a wire rack before glazing.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining powdered sweetener, half n half, and strawberry syrup (if using).
- Dip the tops of the muffins in the glaze one at a time. Once all muffins have been dipped once, dip a second time.
- Store muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Or individually wrap muffins in plastic wrap, place in ziplock bag, and freeze up to 6 months.
Add a thin slice of strawberry on top of the muffin batter before baking for fun!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Yield: 12 muffins
Serving Size: 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 164Total Fat: 13.8gCarbohydrates: 6.5gNet Carbohydrates: 2.8gFiber: 3.7gSugar: 1.3gProtein: 4.6g
The post Low Carb Strawberry Shortcake Muffins appeared first on Keto In Pearls.